Thursday, January 12, 2006

Resolution #1

One of my New Year resolutions was to create a weblog.

If only the rest were that easy.

I want to use this log as a single place to express my thoughts with the knowledge that they might be read by somebody else (so had better be well written) and also simply because I enjoy writing. I enjoy writing because I enjoy the challenge of articulating my thoughts. I also enjoy reading others' thoughts, particularly when they are well articulated. Philosophers' thoughts tend to be well articulated so it is no coincidence that I enjoy reading and writing about philosophy. I don't really have an agenda but philosophy is what I think I'll mainly be writing about here although I can opine at will about politics, religion, football, music and films too, so they'll almost certainly make an appearance.

Philosophically speaking, I'm currently closest to the writing of Pirsig, Nāgārjuna and Rorty. I have contributed to the moq.org (Robert Pirsig) discussion forum for a couple of years but recently bowed out due to a combination of lack of time, frustration and boredom as it became clear to me that arguments are mostly concluded through attrition. Despite this it's generally a good forum and I'll certainly be writing a few things about Pirsig's Metaphysics of Quality here.

Politically, it's sufficient to say I'm drifting at the moment (I live in the UK, by the way) and religion-wise I'm an atheist/diet-Buddhist. Just what this amounts to should become clear as this blog grows.

The rate that this blog will actually grow is something I'm not sure about. Time is currently at a premium but I'll just see how it goes.

No comments: